All about Working Holiday Visa for Australia

Are you between 18 and 35 years old and want to travel and work in Australia? Don’t wait any longer, and apply for your Working Holiday Visa.

What is a Working Holiday Visa for Australia?

Territory at the end of the world, Australia is the dream of many travelers with its extraordinary natural landscapes, dynamic cities and beaches where you can surf and enjoy the sun. For some, a trip to Australia is an opportunity to take a break from life and plan to stay there for a few months to meet the local culture and discover as much territory as possible. All people who are not Australian or New Zealand nationals need a visa to travel to Australia. There are actually many, but if you plan to stay in the country for tourism and work, the Working Holiday Visa may be the document for you! Explanations.

Working Holiday Visa: what is it?

The Working Holiday Visa (WHV), also called the Working Holiday Program (PVT), is a visa of limited duration intended for travelers from several countries around the world who wish to combine tourism and work in Australia. The list of eligible countries includes European Union states. Although it is usually required to be between 18 and 30 years of age to apply for a WHV, the French and Belgians in particular have access to it until the age of 35.

The Working Holiday Visa is valid for one year and allows you to work for up to 6 consecutive months for the same employer, on a permanent, fixed-term or freelance basis. However, some trades, such as agriculture or personal assistance, allow you to exceed this time limit. It is also possible to extend to both employers by requesting the government.

The advantage of WHV is that travelers have the opportunity to finance their stay and alternate between periods of work and periods of visiting the country. Within a year, they can also leave and enter the territory as much as they want. To travel to New Zealand for example!

Also note that the Workinh Holiday Visa allows you to study in Australia for a maximum of 4 months. However, you need to apply for a student visa to overstay.

What are the conditions to get a Working Holiday Visa?

WHT is granted under certain conditions. So should:

  • Between 18 and 30 years old (35 years old for the French, Belgians, Italians, Danes, Canadians, etc.)
  • Have a valid passport
  • Has never been convicted and therefore has a clean criminal record
  • Never had or had tuberculosis or been treated for certain diseases such as cancer
  • Have at least 5,000 Australian dollars in your bank account
  • Not traveling with a dependent child
  • Not completed a Working Holiday Program previously
  • Apply at least 50 days before departure

Good to know: it is highly recommended to get health insurance before coming to Australia with WHV. The rates charged in the medical field are actually higher than those charged in France. Without insurance and in the event of a problem, the costs can seriously compromise the rest of the stay.

How to apply for a Working Holiday Visa?

Now, applying for a Working Holiday Visa can be done simply online, through a site like All you need to do is enter the requested information, attach supporting documents and pay the fee for a WHV request (510 Australian dollars). This is the site that acts as an intermediary for Australian immigration. You just have to wait for the answer by watching your mailbox!

How long does it take to receive the WHV?

The lead time varies depending on the applicant’s profile. It ranges from a few days to 77 days if there is a need to provide additional documents or undergo health tests.

Can you renew your WHV?

It is possible to apply for a second WHV to stay an additional year in Australia and continue to combine tourism and work.

However, some conditions must be met:

  • You must be between 18 and 35 years of age (inclusive) at the time of application
  • Have a valid passport
  • Worked for 3 months in one of the following fields during the first stay with a Working Holiday Visa: mining, agriculture, fishing, horticulture or construction in eligible regions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *