The typical 2022 World Cup team!
The verdict came down on Sunday night after an absolutely insane meeting and a match of extraordinary suspense. Led by his hero Lionel Messi, crowned for the first time in his career, Argentina won the third star in its history, after 1978 and 1986, at the expense of the Blues (3-3, 4-2 on the tab). This 22nd World Cup final will largely close in apotheosis a tournament that was so widely criticized at its inception. From the Brazilian rout to the Argentinian coronation through the waking dreams of the Moroccans and the new tricolor epic, this competition will have many twists and turns. More than laughter and tears, particularly the grandeur of the event, this World also revealed many players. What is concoct an eleven type.
– Emiliano Martinez: destructive, provocative, even provocative for some, the last fortress of the Albiceleste remains one of the great architects of the coronation of his people. Solid in his line throughout the World Cup, the Aston Villa doorman, warmed by the declarations of Kylian Mbappé, again produced a big game during the decisive penalty shootout against the Blues. A stop against Coman, a destabilization that paid off against Tchouaméni and another disturbing celebration in front of the cameras when receiving the trophy for the best goalkeeper in the competition. Perfect summary of his Qatar epic.
– Nicolas Otamendi: Criticized for his debut in the Argentinian jersey and held as one of the main responsible for the debacle experienced against Germany in the quarter-finals of the 2010 World Cup, the current defender of Benfica has completely changed. Impressive throughout the competition, the former Porto and Manchester City player established himself as the boss of the Albiceleste defence. With 36 duels won, 10 interceptions and very few dribbles scored, Otamendi reigned supreme. From the bad students seen at the Cape Town Stadium to the resilience shown on the Qatari turf, the progress has been bewildering. The performances were rewarded with a first star on the world stage.
– Josko Guardiol: shined throughout this World Cup, the masked Vatreni man disgusted all opposing attackers… before Lionel Messi reminded him that he was on a mission. Apart from this impotence in the face of genius, the rest is impressive. Crucial tackles, life-saving returns, constant resilience in the duel, imperial in the air. A boss-sized World Cup that should, surely, open doors to a bright future for him. Manchester City have seen it all.
– Dayot Upamecano: Called up by Didier Deschamps to compete in the first World Cup in its history, DayHot Upamecano did not lag behind. Dominant in duels, important in deep situations, inspired to lift, the defender of Bayern Munich has proven that he is, today, one of the most complete defenders in the world. Next to Varane or Konaté, Ebroïcien, affected by the virus and absent against the Atlas Lions, was only rarely taken from behind, like his stunning performances against Australia or Denmark again. The result at the Stade de Lusail, this Sunday, December 18, will still leave him with a bitter taste.
–Sofyan Amrabat: A substitute for Fiorentina last season, the 26-year-old defensive midfielder will surely never see the bench again. Author of an XXL World Cup and very symbolic of the historic journey of the Atlas Lions, the Moroccan is a logical part of this typical team. Undisputedly holding the sentry position in the center at 3, the native of Huizen (south-east of Amsterdam) was terrible in the group stage and more so against Spain then Portugal or even against France while playing with back injury. With an impressive amount of play, he remains one of the great revelations of this World Cup.
–Luka Modric: let’s talk about revelation for some, instead let’s talk about confirmation for others. Unhappy finalists in Russia despite a rare World Cup, the 2018 Ballon d’Or has been repeated by the Doha side. There was no goal or assist at the hands of the Croatian but the Real Madrid midfielder once again shone in the Vatreni midfield. Masterful craftsman of the third place secured by Zlatko Dalić’s men, his capital performance realized against Brazil is still available on replay. A 37-year-old virtuoso who inevitably leaves a huge void when he decides to hang up.
– Enzo Fernández: placed on the bench at the start of the competition before joining the eleven in the third match against Poland, the Benfica player quickly established himself as an undisputed starter for Lionel Scaloni and his lack of international experience that scene is not clearly not felt. Awarded the trophy for the best young player in the competition, his activity in the midfield proved vital for the Albiceleste in capturing the world title. Impressive in recovering the ball, the quality of his orientation in the game should also be noted. Lionel Messi’s lieutenant, the 21-year-old midfielder should quickly see the European leaders position themselves.
– Antoine Griezmann: a failed final, of course. But then for the rest… what to say. Withdrawn to the midfielder position since the start of the World Cup, the Blues’ handyman has chained runs, pressing phases, recoveries in several compartments of the field and even often over the Blues, with some main rescue in all four. competition week. Technically, like this world-class semi-final against Morocco, the Colchoneros player sublimated the French game in Qatar. It is therefore difficult to blame the native of Mâcon for this last missed meeting as his contribution throughout the competition will be important.
–Lionel Messi: some will surely say the GOAT. And for good reason, the work done by Pulga at this Mondial has a particular resonance. Let’s shed the tears of his best enemy, CR7, this star winning the gong against the Blues certainly puts the seven-time Ballon d’Or at the top of this sport. Named the best player of the tournament, the one with a total of 7 goals and 3 assists in Qatar did not stop carrying himself, like this final marked by a new double and a chilling stability to change his penalty. If the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic are summoning destiny, Messi is responsible for writing it. Genius.
– Kylian Mbappe: brilliant, magnificent, inadequate. The Bondy native’s final was in the image of his tournament. Sometimes clear, often offensive, the Paris Saint-Germain striker has shone in this World Cup. Top scorer in the competition with 8 goals – and two assists – his historic hat-trick against the Argentinians was ultimately not enough. A cruel fate for the French number 10 that doesn’t take away from the scale the Parisian has taken on the world stage. Decisive against Australia, executioner of Denmark and Poland, catalyst against Morocco and brilliant against the Albiceleste, Mbappé will do everything to win his second star. A gift that flew, little by little, for the blowing of his 24th candle, this Tuesday.
-Julian Alvarez: the future of the Albiceleste at the forefront of the attack is assured. For his first World Cup, Manchester City’s new striker shined. Author of 4 goals in 7 matches, the 21-year-old striker was able to support Lionel Messi perfectly. Like his double and his performance against Croatia in the semi-finals, the Calchín prodigy entered a new dimension. To the satisfaction of Lionel Scaloni as well as Pep Guardiola, coach of an Erling Haaland…
The typical competition team: Martinez – Otamendi, Gvardiol, Upamecano – Amrabat, Modric, Fernandez, Griezmann – Messi, Mbappe, Alvarez.
Replacements: Dominik Livaković, Yassine Bounou, Achraf Hakimi, Azzedine Ounahi, Romain Saiss, Bukayo Saka, Jude Bellingham, Olivier Giroud.