Almost defeated against Sacramento and Houston, Orlando returned to victory against Dallas, relying on an iron defense and a strong team, centered around a Franz Wagner who distinguished himself by his regularity, which was different to a Luka Doncic who completely collapsed at the end of the match. .
Despite the absence of Paolo Banchero, victim of a sprained ankle, Orlando made a good impression at the beginning of the game with the pair of Wagner-Carter Jr. who then passed the baton to “Twin Towers”, Bol Bol and Mo Bamba. Led by an inspired though clumsy Luka Doncic (5/13 in the first quarter), Dallas nevertheless managed to take the lead after 12 minutes, following an 8-2 Slovenian orchestra (24-28).
Spencer Dinwiddie then helped increase the gap to +10 (24-34) until Franz Wagner’s rebound revived the locals. German found himself in all the right moves and even improved on 3-pointers by Bol Bol and Jalen Suggs on the final drive before the break to drop Orlando to -4 (50-54).
Dallas failed to stand up after returning from the locker room. The efforts of Mo Bamba, Jalen Suggs and Wendell Carter Jr. were rewarded when the latter tied the game at 72-72 off a 3-pointer in transition. The Magic passed a shot from Caleb Houstan before the final basket from Maxi Kleber to end the period (73-74).
Gradually, Orlando realized its chances, including a great left-handed Terrence Ross lay-up with a bonus foul, a decisive 3-pointer from Chuma Okeke and a step-back “made in Dirk Nowitzki” to finish the job of the part of Franz Wagner (92-83). Uninspired, Luka Doncic faltered at the worst moment and Franz Wagner was able to finish the rally with two final shots to ensure his team’s victory, 94 to 87.
WHAT YOU SHOULD REMEMBER
– The content and the result. Like last season, Orlando was often in the game in its meetings even without a win in the end. Last night, the Magic delivered a big performance, relying on a solid defense and unrivaled rebound dominance, and were rewarded with their third victory of the season. If the balance is not there at the beginning of the financial year, the content is quite encouraging.
– Franz Wagner’s recital. We’re still treated to a gorgeous score from the German, which is essential to Magic’s offensive animation. Present in the scoring, he also made the decisive pass for the 3-pointer Chuma Okeke in the final and was responsible for finishing the free throw. We expect him at the turn after his successful Euro, and he responds at the moment.
– The stereotypical Mavericks offense. Dallas could only rely on Luka Doncic and Spencer Dinwiddie to score and suffered greatly from this lack of diversity. Dominating the key, interiors Maxi Kleber and Dorian Finney-Smith, the only players with more than 6 points, mainly shined outside the shot, which also illustrates the Magic’s dominance in the paint battle. Even before the Slovenian collapsed at the end, this lack of substitution was glaring.
✅ Franz Wagner. German sparked his team at the start of the second quarter with a score, an alley-oop for Wendell Carter Jr, an assist for Caleb Houstan and defense. Primarily creating the formation of Jamahl Mosley, he allowed Orlando to fight over time and did not park at the end, especially his retreat to Dirk Nowitzki. He killed the suspense with the free throw.
✅ Spencer Dinwiddie. Aggressive on both ends of the floor, he made sure when Luka Doncic was on the bench, like he did early in the fourth quarter, when he chained a 3-pointer then a big left-handed dunk to put his team on the right foot. path. Not much to complain about at the end.
⛔️ Luka Doncic. Instead of being interesting and fierce in the first three quarters, the Slovenian completely lost his way towards the end of the match. He signed off on his return five minutes from the end with an extraordinary 0/2 aus throws and multiplied bad choices then, in attack and in defence. His streak of consecutive games over 30 points therefore ends on the floor of Orlando.
– magic : Orlando will host Phoenix this Friday (01:00).
– Mavericks : back-to-back for Jason Kidd’s troops heading to Washington tonight (01:00).